Crunchy, Salty, Caramel Tailgate Snack Mix June 07 2016
While planning for my annual Dave Mathews Band tailgate adventure this weekend I wanted to bring a snack along that my buddies can feast on while I am grilling. Being a huge fan of check mix I decided that I was gonna step it up a notch and found this awesome recipe.
You get the crunch factor, the sweet, and the salt. If you are a fan of CHOPPED then you know that this is a perfect balance needed in any snack. I am tempted to add some chipotle powder to it too for a little heat as well. But either case, good food, good beers and good tunes will be sure to make it a awesomely fun weekend. And of course we will be grilling under our portOpong tent priming up for some tailgate gaming fun.
- 1 12 - ounce box crispy corn and rice cereal (about 12 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts, cashews, or almonds
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light-color corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chocolate-covered raisins, chocolate-covered peanuts, or semisweet or milk chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a foil roasting pan, combine cereal and nuts; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over cereal mixture; stir gently to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring twice. Remove from oven. Spread mixture on a large piece of buttered foil; cool. Wash and dry the foil roasting pan.
- Break cereal mixture into pieces; return to clean roasting pan. Stir in chocolate-covered raisins; cover.
Recipe by: MidWestLiving